Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Hitler The Young Artist





Applying To Become An Artist
". . . One day it became clear to me that I would become a painter, an artist. . . My father would was struck speechless. . . 'Artist! No! Never as long as I live!'. . . My father would never depart from his 'Never!' and I intensified my 'Nevertheless!'

How many among us know that Hitler saw himself as a talented artist who, as an eighteen years old, applied for admission to the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna. His examination results at Vienna's Academy of Fine Arts in 1907 were deemed inadequate by the jurors, several of whom were Jewish.
Encouraged by the Academy's Director to pursue architecture, Hitler was denied admittance to retake the exam upon applying the following year. His rejection was a bitter blow marking the low point of his young life. Despite this disappointment, Hitler created several thousand drawings, watercolors, and oil paintings. He mostly drew detailed sketches of urban planning and building designs.

No comments: